Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dragon Fruit



Katie was watching Daniel Cook on TV last week and he was trying out new foods - fruit in particular. Katie decided we should try out some new types of fruit like Daniel did... so we went to Safeway and she bought a dragon fruit. Now not knowing anything about the fruit and not having watched the show with her I was relying on her with what to do with the thing once we got it home, but she did well and instructed old mom not to worry and just how to cut the fruit. Then she got into it with the melon baller and had a blast! I must say I found it to be rather bland for such a pretty inside and couldnt help but think it looked like it should have been poisonous... none the less Katie enjoyed it and decided we should try more new fruits each time we go shopping! This week it is Kiwi which she got to try at school on friday when one of the kids brought it for snack. I did tell Katie that one thing to keep in mind is that most fruits bought in the store especially up north dont taste anything like what they would fresh (I dont buy apples and cherries very often after living in the Okanagan!) and that what we need to do to really experience these fruits is to convince daddy that we absolutely must go to where they are grown... does anyone know where dragon fruit is from? and more importantly are there palm trees and beaches there too?

6 comments:

K said...

Hi Jen- Dragon fruit is from mexico and South America (and Central- i think Guatemala).

That is too funny because we also watched Danile Cook once and saw that episode (i think about a year ago) and Aidan was so determined to try different fruits like Daniel, so we ventured to the store and he picked a Star Fruit. Well, it was awful. But the point is the kids were inspired to try new things, because of the little obnoxious cutie, Daniel Cook.

Robyn said...

I've never even HEARD of a dragon fruit, let alone tried one! It is pretty though, are the black things seeds?

Poetsch Family said...

Mexico or South AMerica, sounds good to me. I'll try a dragon fruit there with you.

Vicki said...

That's so funny because I saw that show and my kids wanted to try it, too!

K said...

Hi jen- can you send me your email address? I found some cute photos of Aidan & Katie when you guys came to Drumheller and thought youd like to see them. have a good day-

Anonymous said...

Hey Jen this blog is pretty cool. never heard of dragon fruit but it sounds interesting. anyway i don't have your e-mail and wanted to give you a link. add me to msn or e-mail me so i have your e-mail address (geoff87buchanan@hotmail.com)
anyway you might have seen this but if not, turn down the lights, grab some tissue paper and get ready to cry, half my class did (not me of course i'm way too tough)

anyway read this and watch the video.

http://cjcphoto.com/can/