Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dog Sledding


This past weekend we became true northern folk... we went to watch dog sled races. Am I now a true Canadian? lol. Actually it was amazing to watch, the dogs were not the big fluffy huskies I was expecting instead they looked kinda like fluffy labs. It was pretty cold outside that day but they didnt look cold at all and they were so noisy while waiting to run it was unreal. For each team they had about three people helping to hold the hyper dogs that were hooked up while they hooked up the others, got to the start line and then while waiting to countdown and go. The dogs were whinning, barking, jumping at the line and eachother and we even saw one spat, the minute they were counting down though, they all got quieter and as soon as they were running it was asolutely silent. They really were excited to run. Most teams were families and we saw several kids who looked about 12 helping to harness and hold dogs! The cages they keep the dogs in are small which I knew but I was kinda worried about how cold they must get on the highway. They didnt look heated and some had only wire along the door so you would think it would be very windy? The dogs all looked healthy though so it must be fine. Katie enjoyed watching and as she was dressed better than Rob and I, wanted to stay and watch more than we did!

3 comments:

K said...

Thanks for your comment Jen, Yes, my blog is an ever changing entity. Whenever the mood hits, I change it.

I am so jealous. We would love to watch a sled dog race. It looks mighty cold there.

Take Care

Poetsch Family said...

Yes, that was fun but very cold. Same thing with Vayda, she wanted to stay and we were ready to go cause we were cold. Stay warm.

Vicki said...

I don't think I could have done it. I don't do cold well. But it sounds like it was a great experience!