Sunday, January 21, 2007

Back to work for us



I was sorting through the picture files and found a few cute shots of Katie so I thought I would post them. Last week was my first week back to work and was a busy week for all of us. Katie went to Jolanda's for daycare while I was working. It is so nice to have Jolanda here to care for Katie, what peace of mind for all of us knowing that Katie is happy and safe. It was definately tiring for Katie though to play with Tessa and Vayda on top of her school and other activities - she didnt make it through supper the one night!


Rob ended up working lots last week which is great cause its been a slow start to the year - hopefully it will be busy from here on in. His helper is back from school and the truck is running good (touch wood) so he is eager to work. It has been warm too so its not that bad for him being outside working.


I enjoyed being back to work, it was a bit nerve racking as I have been off for a while but I think it will all come back easily. The staff here are so happy to have help so I got a very warm reception! The hospital is a fair bit smaller than Penticton (I think about 1/2 the size) so it will take some getting used to - some services and resources that I took for granted before are not available here, like a CT scanner and 24 hour respiratory therapists. As a result they tend to ship out the sicker patients but ER is still quite busy as they have to stabilize and then wait for transport to get here. The labor and delivery ward is also busy - they have 500 - 600 births a year at this hospital! I am starting in ICU but am going to orientate to ER and float which helps out everywhere.

7 comments:

K said...

wow- sounds tiring for all of you. Katie looks totally beat. Glad to hear about Rob getting work. We are hoping things pick up for Ed here come spring. Thinking about you guys.

Robyn said...

Katie is so cute sitting there fast asleep :) How long had you been away from work? I haven't gone back to nursing since Emily was born and I imagine I'll be very nervous if/when that happens. I think I'll probably try to find work that isn't in the wards though so it will be different anyway. Hope it continues to go smoothly for you!

Heidi said...

That is about how many deliveries we average and our hospital is twice the size. Just goes to show you how young the population is there.

Poetsch Family said...

Katie looks so cute falling asleep at the table. We are looking forward to having her today.

Poetsch Family said...

Katie looks so cute falling asleep at the table. We are looking forward to having her today.

K said...

thanks jen- love the quote.

Robyn said...

Hi Jen,
I was working in an Orthopeadic Rehab ward and I LOVED it! I'd done my postgrad training year at the hospital so had experience in Recovery, HDU, Urology, Rheumatology and Orthopaedic Surgical as well so if those areas were short staffed I got sent there but mainly worked in Rehab. The hospital isn't the main one for the area, so no ICU or ER etc.